Friday, June 8, 2012

Hip Hop and Reconciliation

     After getting great feedback on my first blog post on racial reconciliation, I have decided to continue the series. Trust me, this series is going to get intense, personal, and convicting. If it does not, I will have failed my readership. This is too important of a topic to treat lightly. I am going to have some friends post as well, so that we can get different views from different backgrounds. Please continue to email me (timnicodemus3@gmail.com) if you have any topics in this regard you want looked at from different perspectives.
          With that being said, I want to address the issue of hip hop and Christianity. To start, I think the question needs to be asked: as Christians-- especially those of us raised in upper-middle, white communities-- how should we react to the hip hop culture? Even more broadly, how should we react to cultures of which we are not a part? The broader question applies to everyone of every race and culture, so for the time being, I will begin to address the first question in the context of the second.

       I grew up listening to other genres of music but got into the rap scene during high school and in college. Sports teams I played on would play it before games, fraternity parties play it a lot, and I find it a great genre to work-out/run to; The beats get me pumped! Sure, the language can get rough and the thematic elements are often far from spiritual, but I always told myself, 'Its just music.' 
              Fast forward a few years to this summer. I have joined a 'Hip hop cypher' (look it up if you don't know what a 'cypher' is) small group through my church in Charlotte. The group is looking at how hip hop defines us and how we as Christians can struggle through the history, the themes, and the imagery of the industry and music. The first small group dealt began with us saying, "Hi, my name is ___ and I ____ hip hop because..."  I sat in my chair thinking about my story that I just shared. I was about to say something when a guy said this, "Hi, my name is ____ and I struggle with hip hop because I know its a part of my heritage but I need to reject the sinful desires it causes in me. I need to be careful that my Christian identity comes first, not my identity as a black man from the hood." Everyone else around me (did I mention I was one of two white people?) nodded in understanding. Look, maybe I am an idealist who has been ignorant for 21 years, but I never stopped to think about hip hop like that. Sure, I get that songs "Gangster's Paradise" and "Soul Survivor" describes the living in the 'trap' (look it up) but when did I miss out on understanding that Christians, especially black Christians from urban backgrounds, have to work through their preconceived notions of morality in a music genre that I never took the time to understand? What have my preconceived notions made me believe? We talked about Tupac and how his songs later in life showed his need for contentment and love. We talked about how the hip hop scene was part of a larger reaction against the 'church culture' that was seen as hypocritical by black teenagers. We talked about how racial and personal identity is found in the music and the messages. That night, I spent the drive back to my apartment praying to God that He would instill in me a heart of understanding about what these people were talking. The prayer was intense and far from easy because I was beginning to be convicted about my biased (and wrong) views on the subject. 
          As the church (and I), are we looking at this marginalized group? What about other groups/cultures outside our (and my) convenient reach? Have we stopped to understand that rap lyrics are often pleas for justice, mercy, and love? Do we laugh at 'funny' rapper names, without stopping to understand that those names are intensely personal identifiers? Have we written off this medium of expression as 'heathenistic' and godless, without stopping to realize how much God wants us to love them? 
         You might be thinking, 'Tim is this really a problem? Why is this such a big deal?' I would say it is a crucial deal. While I realize this is a large blanket statement to make, I will say this: the 'white' church has let this subculture, among many others, go entirely unnoticed. Can you, in full honesty, tell me that my denomination (the PCA) and other traditionally WASPy churches have done an adequate job reaching the hip hop generation? Besides the fact that most of hip hop sales are from Chinese teenagers and white, middle-class Americans (and if  you did not know that, then that only further proves my point) what about just the African American subculture that can identify with the beats and messages?  For far too long the church has stood on the sidelines and have done nothing to bridge the gap. For far too long it has been an 'us' vs 'them' mentality. 'Gospel' music is for black churches; Let the 'white' churches sing praise songs and hymns without even understanding the cultural norms of other people groups. Let me say it another way: we have failed the Great Commission and what God calls for Christians to do. 
       I hate the saying "What Would Jesus Do?" I hate it because that is the wrong question. It should be asked "What DID Jesus Do?" You know, the guy who did not change His message (that point is crucial) while going directly to the marginalized and loving them? He was not passive in loving. He did not accept their sins, just as we should not love the messages of violence, sexism and greed that rap glorifies, but we sure as hell need to be 'In the world.' Saying we should be 'culturally relevant' can be a slippery theological slope, but we as individuals and churches need to be unafraid of getting real. If we don't even care about the pain and suffering and anger in this subculture then we are being rather worthless to a large part of our population. 
        Example time. I have recently become friends with a rapper who is about my age. He is leaving for Atlanta in a few weeks to try to become a legitimate artist. I have heard his demo and dang can that kid spit rhymes. But hearing the reason for his career choice was incredible. Short version: he watched his father get shot in Charlotte when he was 13. Rapping is his way of dealing with the pain of such a traumatic childhood. Rapping is his way of connecting to the culture his father was a part of. Rapping is his way of glorifying God. But sure, Tim, I am sure hip hop is 'just music.' 
         The hip hop artist Lecrae recently dropped a dope mixtape. I encourage you to listen to the main song "Church Clothes." It is a painfully real look at the church and how our unrepentance and acceptance of sin leaves a poor model for non-Christians of what Christ is. But, a media outlet recently said this:       
       "Some have suggested that Lecrae's criticism of the church was doing more harm than good and that by working with "godless producers and rappers" he had compromised his Christian witness." 
         If the critics stopped for a second and thought about that accusation, they should realize how absurd that sounds. How else is Lecrae supposed to be 'in the world'? Christian rap, which has at least attempted to bridge the cultural gap, has been anemic in mixing with the mainstream. Look, I get the need to make sure the message stays pure. We should be vigilant in our defense of the Gospel. But as soon as we use that as an excuse to not get real, the Gospel immediately becomes worthless. When asked about his move to more secular venues and producers, Lecrae dropped this piece of awesomeness,
" Jesus prayed we would remain in the world but protected. He also tells us the gates of Hell will not prevail against us. Gates were established to protect cities, so for the gates not to prevail would mean we are trying to storm them. We are here to engage culture not run from it."
           Oh and yes, Lecrae was recently invited onto the prestigious Hip Hop Awards Cypher, where he did this (start around 1:15). If you don't appreciate lyricists and freestyle ask any of us that do. He KILLED it. And he dropped Gospel truth in front of several thousand people. You know, no big deal.
           Let me end this crazy long post to say this, I still do not know what 'engaging' the hip hop culture looks like. I know it has to involve giving our time and caring. It has to be intentional. It has to be out of love and a desire to be an instrument of God's power and grace. Beyond that, it HAS TO BE ROOTED IN PRAYER. Words and actions mean nothing but trivial sentiment if we do not meekly go before God asking for His mercy for our own preconceived notions. So, let us go repent and go boldly in His power into a world that needs God's message of truth spread, no matter the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment