Friday, February 3, 2012

Beliefs and Baseball



   I want my first subject post to be about two of the namesakes of the blog. Before I begin, this blog will in no way be me trying to get more details about a tragic event. It is not me trying to blow up a small personal matter into something bigger. This is me simply trying to come to terms with a recent event.
   Any attentive reader has probably heard about Josh Hamilton and his recent admittance to an alcohol relapse. His press conference happened Friday, and in it he addressed very little of what actually happened. What we know is that he went to a bar and had a drink. He hung out with people. He did things he is not proud of. Period. End of story. Press conference over.

   My first reaction to hearing this news was a sense of crushing sadness. Mr. Hamilton is one of my heroes. He has battled back from a terrible life situation, drug use, etc. He has maintained a public, humble faith even through injuries and a horrific accident last year, involving a thrown ball and a fan. Why would he do something like that? Why is he not addressing the issue? He was very guarded during the press conference, and I understand his desire to protect his family and himself from undue scrutiny, but what about all his fans who want to know about his struggles?
   "My recovery is Christ." There lay the truth. There was a man who reminded me that sin is sin but grace is greater. I was sad that a good man could fall into temptation and I was not relying on God's strength to redeem the situation. Besides, I am not perfect myself. I need to rely on God for recovery from my own personal problems and sins. If you are a religious person, I encourage you to take this to heart; whatever higher power you believe in, rely on that source of strength to encourage you and provide the comfort you need through trials. Thank you, Mr. Hamilton, for the reminder that there is more to life than baseball, mistakes, and ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment